catalogue homepage greenwich workshop homepage
Home > Catalogue > September 2007
Thumbnail View Back Home Next



by Nelson Boren

The average painting by Nelson Boren embodies a number of the artist's qualities-fastidious attention to detail, a tender eye for texture and a respect for the hard-working people of the modern West. But what makes Nelson Boren's paintings unique is his playful composition and the teasing close-ups that invite each viewer to create his or her own story.

Engaged is no different. Two dusty, hard-working folks sit beside one another holding hands, perhaps a little excited, as the title suggests, with their new arrangement. But the rest of the story is up to you.

Greenwich Workshop Fine Art Giclée Print:
limited to 45 s/n.
21"w x 30"h.
$750 | $825 CDN | £420
Ask About Availability

Arriving September 2007


Doc Holliday:
"Well I´ll be Damned!"

by Don Crowley

Wyatt Earp:
The Last Summer

by Don Crowley

Virgil Earp:
Day of Decision

by Don Crowley

Wild Bill Hickok:
The Premonition

by Don Crowley

Pat Garrett:
The Making of a Legend

by Don Crowley

Bat Masterson:
Two Worlds of Bat Masterson

by Don Crowley

The Gunfighters
by Don Crowley

To commemorate 200 years of law enforcement by the United States Marshals Service in 1989, acclaimed artist Donald Crowley created six portraits of great gunmen of the Old West. We begin the limited edition publication with two of these legends.

Doc Holliday: "Well I´ll be Damned!"
The title of this piece is taken from Doc Holliday’s last words, uttered as he died in Colorado at the age of thirty-four. It is thought that Holliday was remarking a rogue such as himself dying in bed, with his boots off.

Wyatt Earp: The Last Summer
Wyatt Earp moved to Tombstone, Arizona to retire from a lifetime of law enforcement, but soon found himself entangled in a battle with a gang of local outlaws known as the Cowboys. Wyatt, along with his brothers Morgan and Virgil, and their friend the dentist, gambler and gunman John Henry “Doc” Holliday, clashed with the Cowboys in the gunfight that became known as the shoot-out at the O.K. Corral.

Virgil Earp: Day of Decision
Virgil Walter Earp (1843-1905) was one of the Old West’s great lawmen. While not as famous today as his younger brother Wyatt, Virgil’s role in protecting the law of Tombstone and other Western towns was far more impressive. On June 28, 1880, Virgil was appointed city marshal of the small mining camp of Tombstone, Arizona. Virgil took it upon himself to enforce local ordinances such as the ban on concealed or open weapons within town limits. His actions brought him into direct conflict with outlaws Frank McLaury and Billy Clanton, which led to the famous gunfight at the O.K. Corral. Virgil, along with new deputy Morgan Earp and temporarily deputized citizens Wyatt Earp and John “Doc” Holliday took on the Clanton gang in a blaze of gunfire behind the Corral. Three of the outlaws were killed, and in the following week both Morgan and Virgil were the targets of assassination attempts, in which Morgan was killed and Virgil lost the use of his left arm.

Wild Bill Hickok: The Premonition
James Butler "Wild Bill" Hickock (1837-1876) became famous throughout the whole of 19th century America for his skills with weaponry, gambling and his outrageous, larger-than-life personality. Like many denizens of the Old West, Wild Bill traveled from town to town trying his hand at different professions, but it was his marksmanship, or perhaps his own outrageous accounts of it, that earned him renown. His exploits and wild tales had made him more than a few enemies and Wild Bill fell into the habit of finding a seat in the corner of saloons to protect himself from surprise attacks. On the day of August 1, 1876, however, Nuttal & Mann's Saloon No. 10 was packed and Hickock could only be seated at the center of the room, with his back to a door. Jack McCall entered the room and shot Wild Bill from behind as he played poker. Hickock's cards (two aces, two eights and a jack) have since come to be known as the "Dead Man's Hand."

Pat Garrett: The Making of a Legend
Patrick “Pat” Floyd Garrett (1850-1908) lived a tragic life of bad decisions and infamous friends. Garrett began his career in the Old West as a buffalo hunter, then progressed to local government. In 1880, a $500 bounty was set for the capture of Henry McCarty (also known as William Harrison Bonney and Billy the Kid), and Garrett rose to the occasion. As newly elected Sheriff of Lincoln County, New Mexico in 1881, Garrett and a band of men found McCarty and his men and forced them to surrender. Garrett arrested McCarty and brought him to the courthouse, but before he could be executed Billy escaped, killing two prison guards in his flight. Determined this time to get it right, Garrett hunted down McCarty at the home of McCarty’s friend Pete Maxwell. In the darkness of Maxwell’s house, Garrett shot McCarty through the heart and killed him. Unfortunately, the execution of the wanted criminal earned Garrett neither renown nor reward, for Billy had become a local celebrity and the bounty had been for a live capture.

Bat Masterson: Two Worlds of Bat Masterson
William Bartholomew “Bat” Masterson (1853- or 1856-1921) was a lawman, soldier, gambler and writer, a man belonging solidly in both the Old West and the modern East Coast. At a young age Masterson, like so many others of his time, left home to hunt buffalo on the grassy plains of the West. On June 27, 1874, he took place in what would become the Second Battle of Adobe Walls at Adobe Walls, Texas. The Southern Plains tribes of the area surrounded the three adobe buildings at the center of town and, at dawn, they attacked. Masterson and 28 other settlers barricaded themselves in and fought through windows and cracks in the walls. Miraculously, when the dust settled the next day, the Indians had given up the fight and the settlers had won. In his later years, Masterson became interested in boxing and athletics and began to write a sports column for the Denver paper George’s Weekly. When President Roosevelt appointed him U.S. Marshal for the southern district of New York, Masterson took his writing with him and began a column for the New York Morning Telegraph. He died in his office at the Telegraph of a heart attack in 1921, his last column still unfinished on the typewriter.